Monday, October 28, 2013

Observation 2

Vid. 1: Rotifer

Briana Sproles
Observation 2
28 October 2013

Fig. 1: Limnias sp. Rotifer
Fig. 2: Loxophyllum
In order to observe the contents of my aquarium, I first placed them under the microscope and set up the camera. After that was set up, I made sure that the camera was linked up to the computer. As soon as I could also see the contents of my aquarium on the computer screen, I began to explore. It was difficult to make out many of the different shapes that I saw swimming about, but it took less than a couple minutes to clearly make out what was a Limnias sp. Rotifer (Patterson, 1992) (Fig. 1). The small rounded areas on the top are actually flagellum that are bringing in water and other molecules that it feeds off of into the center of its "mouth" region. There is then a small area close to the mouth opening that catches substances in the water and crushes it up for food. The remaining water is filtered back out (Patterson, 1992).
Upon further examination of my aquarium, I came upon what was called a Loxophyllum (Pennak, 1953) (Fig. 2). It would extend the length of its body and then resume the original shape as seen in Figure 2.

After observing these organisms, one pellet of "Atison's Betta Food", made by Ocean Nutrition in Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104, was added to each of our aquariums. The ingredients of this pellet included the following: Fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. Also, the nutritional content of the pellet included: Crude Protein 36%; Crude fat 4.5%; Crude Fiber 3.5%; Moisture 8% and Ash 15% (McFarland, 2013).

No comments:

Post a Comment